Donnerstag, 1. November 2007

Food Intolerance???

I have all but given up blogging in Oktober. One of the reasons is quite simple: I have gained a lot of weight, and I am not happy about it. So I took a break from baking. At least I got to shop for new clothes - can't complain about that! I only wish, it weren't clothes in bigger sizes...
And I have some health related issues going on for quite a long time: feeling fatigued, lethargic and depressed nearly all the time, not getting restful sleep, stomach troubles for days on end, dry and itchy skin, various aches and pains - that list could go on and on. Finally, I went to the GP for a check-up. My lab tests came back "normal", my iron status a bit low, but that was to be expected as I had donated blood only recently. Turns out that I am not ill , but why am I feeling lousy? Amazingly, the GP took time for counselling me on a healthier lifestyle with an emphasis on stress-reduction. Amazingly again, he didn't just prescribe anti-depressants. He suggested to start looking for food intolerances, eliminating the most likely allergy-triggers from my diet, starting with wheat and other gluten containing foods. I have been restricting my intake of dairy products for some years as I have noticed frequently, that they don't agree with me all that well. My long list of symptons could be related to wheat or gluten intolerance. They should clear up in the weeks to come if gluten is really the culprit. Well, of course I want to get better. So, starting today, I will avoid gluten-containing foods for the next four weeks. Should I indeed feel better, I am in this for life.

Keine Kommentare: