Samstag, 10. November 2007

10 Gluten-Free Days

I have spent the last 10 days glued to the chair in front of the computer. I have spent hours reading about gluten-free diets, gluten-free blogs, and celiac disease. The more I read, the less convinced I am about that gluten-free thing with regard to my health issues. Some of the symptoms of celiac disease fit, some not. For instance, I gained weight, did not loose it. I have never experienced violent reactions to ingesting gluten-containig foods. But then again - it's nice to wake up in the morning, actually being awake. It's nice to get up without puffy eyes, without a headache that will not lift until the evening, without stiff and creaking joints. I am indeed feeling better, my stomach is flatter, not distended any more. Gone is the constant tiredness. I have much more energy. My mood has improved considerably - I am even able to smile and be friendly in the morning. And those annoying cravings are gone. Pst, don't wake them! I know for sure, they are hiding just round the corner, waiting for the one moment, when I am distracted, to pounce on to me again. I don't know what to make of all this. If I had been on an unbalanced diet of fast food and sweets, I would have credited this change to my new healthier eating habits. But no, I have had my veggies daily. I am not a vegetarian, so I was not lacking in protein or vitamins B6 and B12. I have binged quite often on cake, icecream and chocolate. That has taken its toll, no doubt about that. But apart from that, my eating habits were/are not that bad. So I will continue to avoid gluten for the full four weeks, as recommended. Then we'll see how to continue.

Keine Kommentare: